Outside My Window



Outside my Window
By Kaylie


I’m glaring past the books, perfectly stacked across the ledge, placed in front of my window. So much knowledge all perfectly aligned in alphabetical order. Beyond them I see light, colour, happiness, change, hurt. I see this in the trees, in the sky, and the songs that the birds sing. In the summer, the bright, golden rays stream effortlessly through my window onto my striped quilt. In the fall and winter, the red leaves and sparkling snow press up against my window. With my room in the basement and my window at ground level, I get to see all of the seasons up close and personal. My eyes focus, previously being blurred by my thoughts and memories. Peering across the cracked cement walkway, my eyes fall onto the lawn. Some sections are green and very much alive, others are dried into crunchy yellow blades. I look up towards two deciduous trees, one on each side of the yard. The one on the left has three trunks growing into each other. The one on the right has one lone, thin base. The bark is a wonderful mixture of different shades of white, yellow, brown, and black. Green moss grows up both of them. Further down the yard sit two tall, green pine trees, making a square with the other two. A sticky sap drips down their deep brown sides. Across the street, are two houses. The first has an absolutely stunning tree in the dead centre of their perfectly mowed lawn. The bright red leaves are beautiful. Their black car, which must be very old, looks like it’s from the 50’s. The other house has been abandoned for years. Even if someone hadn’t been told that, I’m sure that they’d figure it out. The grass is overgrown, and could very well be taller than me. In the windows, you can see the piles of garbage. Thinking about what might live in there sends shivers down my spine. If I look really far, all the way down to the end of the street, I can just barely see the tall pines that I recognize as the start of the meadow. Looking at my window, your first impression would be that it’s old, creaky, and needs paint. Take a look outside,  and you’ll see so much more.






Comments

Post a Comment